Wednesday, July 8, 2020

What's In A Pseudonym?

It's a rainy Wednesday morning. I was up early, went for a brisk walk, did some weight training and followed that with a yoga session. After a shower I sit at my desk, contemplate my work for the day and start looking forward to breakfast. Everyday is the same, barring a few exceptions. For me it's a great way to start the day.

Everyday I write, but each day I don't write as the same person.

I began my writing career as a Women's Fiction writer. My first published novel was considered Literary Women's Fiction.

When I began writing books that were not literary but fell under another sub genre of Women's Fiction, I felt obliged to assume another name to publish those books. The name Rosa Temple was born and was the name I used when I wrote under the contemporary romance sub genre of Women's Fiction. Confused? I was at first, but I followed the advice that was out there about how books are marketed and felt it was necessary to take on another writer name.

Photo by John Jennings on Unsplash

So, every day, when I sit down to write, I have to ask myself, who am I? Who is writing today? Fran or Rosa? The most difficult thing is that I don't feel as if the two are different people. I just think I'm a writer who doesn't want to have to stick to writing in one genre.

Last night I sent off a book to my agent - a Rosa Temple book. Today I have an idea for a new book. But who am I today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? Please leave a comment below.